Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  January 18, 2011 3:00am-4:00am EST

3:00 am
that's it for 360. thanks for watching. we'll see ya tomorrow. >> you know they tell me that piers morgan is a great interviewer. i can't wait to see how good he is. >> when it came to choosing my first guest for this new show, it could only be one person. the biggest, richest, most powerful star in the world. >> i hear he makes people cry. hope he doesn't go there with me. >> the great thing about tonight is that i get to ask oprah winfrey the questions that she likes to ask everybody else. how many people do you absolutely 100% trust?
3:01 am
>> throwing yourself a party and get yourself a really nice gown. >> tonight's show the one and only oprah winfrey. >> action. hello! >> come in. >> hello, mr. morgan. >> tell me this. do you ever get sort of surreal moments when i'm just trying to picture what it's like being you. when you wake up in the morning go bloody hell, i'm oprah winfrey. >> i don't do bloody hell i'm oprah winfrey. i will tell you that i had a surreal moment january 1st once my new network launched, and i have been working, working, working with the whole team to make it happen.
3:02 am
obviously i understood what that was and what the process was. it wasn't until we were here in los angeles and we were having a brunch on the morning of january 1st. happy new year, everybody. welcome to own. and it had come on and i saw the logo and i'm standing there looking at myself, and i had a really like a what is that? that is a network. it's not just a logo. it's not just an idea. it's not just all of the planning sessions we've had. oh, my gosh. i started to cry. >> did you really? >> yes. i'm not doing it here with you, piers. i'm not doing it. >> let's see a few tears. >> i started with my great partner from discovery. david and i had a moment. i looked at him. he looked at me. i welled up. i think there was a hint of moisture even in david's eyes.
3:03 am
i could feel him feeling what this journey had been like for the both of us and what this really meant. it was the first time i really got it. >> what does it mean to you to actually have a network in your own name? >> i would have to say it is really difficult for me still to wrap my brain around what all of that really means. it's so funny. i got an e-mail from my friend, gayle, who was at the party in vegas. she sent me an e-mail after she had seen it. my god, there's real commercials like other networks. they are real commercials. gayle is like i knew there would be commercials but the fact that you have commercials like other stations have commercials means it's really a network. it's that kind of thing where you are looking at it. i never loved commercials more
3:04 am
than now. every single commercial that comes up i go thank you, febreze. >> i only got to know gayle in the last couple of months when i tried to get you for this interview. i find her hilarious. protective toward you. i talked to her through e-mail. i got it. i got that this person was your great friend but your gate keeper. i had to persuade gayle that i was trustworthy. >> that's very smart of you to go through gayle to get it. >> sneaky actually. i had to get gayle. >> this is the thing about gayle is that i think -- i'm so excited she's going to have a show on own now taking that radio show and bringing it to own. the world is now going to love her as i do. you're going to see that she then becomes passionate. so passionate about me doing this interview, i go, do you know him? tonight she goes, no, i don't know him. what is the deal?
3:05 am
what is the deal? why are you pushing for me to do this? >> we had a seduction through e-mail. how many people do you absolutely 100% trust? >> probably five. >> who would they be? >> i'm not naming them. >> can i guess? >> you can guess. >> gayle would be one. >> for sure. >> stedman would be two. >> yeah. >> after that i'm struggling. are they people that we would know? >> yeah. but i have an inner circle of probably five or six people that i ultimately would trust no matter what and if i were to be betrayed by those people then i would say i don't know. there's a wonderful line in a tony morrison book that says it stripped me of everything i knew. so there's certain people for whom if that happened i would feel like then i don't know anything. >> i find it really moving when you went when you talked about
3:06 am
gayle on barbara walters. everyone knew the background to that. head-on. bang. nailed the lie. bang. you got emotional because i could tell what that friendship meant to you. you probably never had talk about it that way before in public. you lost it. i got it. >> this is the thing. i knew what barbara was going after. she was going after the rumors, which i'm never going to discuss again. that was it for me. don't even try to go there. >> i haven't even dared to go there. >> that's it. i've addressed it. i've never going to discuss it again. >> he wasn't even going to mention it. >> good. but the crying moment came because the question that she asked i knew what the answer was she wanted but the question that she asked was something like what does that friendship mean to you? i thought i'm going to answer that question. and if she wants to go to the other question then she's going to have to go there.
3:07 am
i'll force her to go there. when i thought about what that friendship means to me, that is what brought the tears. i'm not going to cry now but it's pretty special. i really did mean that i would wish for every person on earth to experience somebody to care for them and to know them in such a way that they only want the best for you but to have somebody who is a friend and you would know this too that when you become famous and you have access to lots of different things, you know, a lot of people lose oxygen and they can't make the summit with you and so to be able to have somebody who not only can make the summit but stand at the summit with you and rejoices in your being able to make it.
3:08 am
>> what i would love to have seen when you were so emotional about the friendship is gayle's reaction. how did she react to what you were saying? >> gayle didn't see it until we were actually in australia. she said i'm in my hotel room watching the barbara walters -- that's so nice. that's so nice of you. i want to meet gayle king. gayle king sounds like such a nice person. i want her to be my friend. that is what she said. >> the thing i know about you absolutely unequivocally is that everything you touch is a hit. >> no. that's not true. >> let's assume it is for a moment. >> it is not true. >> could you just -- >> go along with the program. >> -- touch me. >> go along with it. >> i've got a hit. oprah winfrey has touched me.
3:09 am
>> i can tell you all of the times i didn't have a hit too. >> do you contemplate failure with own? have you thought about that? >> are you kidding? piers, i thought about -- i have never contemplated anything more than i contemplated the decision to do this network. >> now you have reached this -- i wouldn't say pinnacle with you -- >> i'm just getting started. >> exactly. aren't we all. when you see that, i suppose the contradiction is that oddly you are in a position with this network where you are possibly least in control. when i run a newspaper, for example, when i got to be editor running the ship, half the time i didn't have any idea what is going on. >> did you say running a ship? >> it's like a tanker. >> i thought you said the other word. >> i wouldn't say that in front of you. >> did he just say -- >> there are two people i would never swear in front of.
3:10 am
one is majesty the queen. the other is oprah winfrey. you're the american queen. >> thank you for that. >> my pleasure. >> i'll accept that. >> you are the nearest thing america's got. do you like being famous? >> that's a good question. provocative question. i'll give you credit for that. however, i'm not going to give you the answer that you want and that is, you know, a yes or a no. i love being famous. no. fame comes with the mission and purpose. you know, you cannot define me or try to put me in a box and you can't look at my life unless you look at the whole life. so i am a negro formerly. born in 1954 in mississippi at a
3:11 am
time when it was an apartide state and to sit here with you as your first guest in 2011 is a miracle that's beyond anything i could actually do for myself so there is something greater at work here and the thing that's greater at work, the force and forces that have made this happen in my life along with me working as hard as i have is it's bigger than i am and fame is the vehicle from which i get to have this platform. so do i like that? i appreciate it. if i had been what i thought i was going to be and that is a great fourth grade teacher, i would have also liked that because at the core of me i am a teacher. i am happiest when i feel that people are getting something, learning something, enhancing
3:12 am
themselves in a way that they never thought of before. that's really truly one of my favorite moments on television or in any experience when i'm just one-on-one with a friend or somebody i don't even know being able to share something with them and they think i never thought of it. >> when we come back, oprah on her life's mission. >> this isn't about me. i am the messenger to deliver the message of redemption, of hope, of forgiveness, of gratitude, of evolving people to the best of themselves. >> hi, piers. gayle king here. good luck with your new show. i've seen up close and personal, you're good. i can't wait for people to see them themselves. congratulations. breathe, socket.
3:13 am
we know it's intimidating. instant torque. top speed of 100 miles an hour. that's one serious machine. but you can do this. any socket can. the volt only needs about a buck fifty worth of charge a day. and for longer trips, it can use gas. so get psyched. this is a big step up from the leafblower. the 2011 chevrolet volt. it's more car than electric.
3:14 am
spending too many nights alone at the spacebar. will love ever find me? ♪ oh yes! ♪ what about love?! [ female announcer ] swiffer attracts dust. swiffer 360 dusters gets in hard to reach places. it picks up two times more dust than a feather duster using thousands of fluffy fibers to lock dust away. you're just my type! [ laughs ] [ female announcer ] swiffer gives cleaning a whole new meaning. can a trading site help make you a sharper trader? mine can. td ameritrade can. they've got trading specialists i can call for help.
3:15 am
and paper trading. free practice trading that helps me hone my technique. complex options. and free tutorials. online or in person. can a trading site really make a difference? if it can't, why are you trading there? number one in online equity trades: td ameritrade. trade commission-free for 30 days, plus get up to $500 when you open an account. >> you're going to australia! we are going to australia! you are going to go to australia! >> i will say that my experience in australia was one of the most open hearted loving experiences i have ever had as a human being. i never experienced anything like that.
3:16 am
>> i feel huge love toward australia at the moment because we just beaten them at cricket. >> that's a different kind of love. >> that's real love. i love every australian passionately because we destroyed them at the sport they love most. >> i'm not talking about that kind. >> you don't like cricket? >> cricket is fine. i'm talking about, you know -- >> i was being facetious. >> there is this moment -- >> when there's john travolta on a big jet. it was unbelievable. >> i have the best team on tv. they had john travolta come out. >> amazing. how are you going to beat that? you fly your entire audience in a jumbo jet piloted by john travolta to australia. >> it was not by john. >> it looked like he was going to. >> at the time we thought maybe he will.
3:17 am
he was fantastically gracious about it. i never saw anything like that. it was for me bigger than the car moment years ago. >> it was the single greatest stunt i have ever seen. and your face. you were squealing larger than they were. >> i don't like the word stunt, piers. >> what can we call it? >> spiritual moment. >> don't go there. it wasn't that either. it was just great moment. it wasn't a stunt. >> of course not. perish the thought. >> it wasn't a stunt. >> i take it back. are you a tough boss? >> i'm not a tough boss. i don't think i am a tough boss at all. >> are you demanding in the quality that you want produced now that you have a network? network bosses have to be tough. >> i don't think that's tough. might you define your definition of tough?
3:18 am
>> i suppose demanding. not necessarily shouting at people. i don't think you're that kind. >> i don't shout. >> i bet you're a perfectionist. >> i don't shout. i don't allow people around me who do shout because that changes the energy of your ability to do well. i'm really, really, really keen on the energy that you bring into my space whether it's my home or my work environment. really, really keen. i don't go for shouters. >> where would you say you're tough? >> i would say that i'm tough in that i'm always looking for the best in myself and i want you to also present that for yourself and for the overall goal that we share if you are working for me. >> what i like about you is there's always tough love from you. you say you can't keep going on holidays if you have no money. >> it isn't even tough love as much as it is, you know, i'm very clear about what my role and purpose is.
3:19 am
this isn't about me. i am the messenger to deliver the message of redemption, of hope, of forgiveness, of gratitude, of evolving people to the best of themselves, so i am on my personal journey. my personal journey is to fulfill the highest expression of myself here as a human being here on earth. >> what advice would you give michael vick? >> what advice? you know, i don't want to talk about michael vick because i am trying to interview him. >> really? i love that honesty about you. >> i'll save my advice for when i sit down with him. i know you are trying to interview him. >> i'm trying to get him as well one of us is going to win. >> one of us is. >> do you want wager? >> no. >> 100 british pounds says i get vick before you. >> 100? >> 100. you can afford it. >> make it two. >> 200. you're done. >> okay. there you go. >> you don't like losing though,
3:20 am
do you? >> it's okay. you know, it's okay. >> i'm preparing you for the inevitable. >> it's okay if it's an interview. i have never been in that arena where you are trying to knock down the other person to be the first person to get somebody. i think the way i live my life is if it's supposed to happen, it will happen. if michael vick chooses to sit with you as his first interview and not sit with me, then that's the way it's supposed to be. and god bless him in that. >> god bless him if he sits down with me. >> don't call me later, mike. >> i always dreamt one day of being a rival. this is exciting for me. the fact you are admitting i might be is good enough for me. >> that's the thing, it's not about that for me. i'm not here to try to be the first or get the -- >> easy for you to say because you always win. coming up, what's been one of the most hurtful things you've had to hear or read about
3:21 am
yourself? >> announcer: more "piers morgan tonight" coming up. rate boxes working out? fabulous! they gave me this great idea. yea? we mail documents all over the country, so, what if there were priority mail flat rate... envelopes? yes! you could ship to any state... for a low flat rate? yes! a really low flat rate. like $4.95? yes! and it could look like a flat rate box... only flatter? like this? you...me...genius. genius. priority mail flat rate envelopes. just $4.95. only from the postal service. a simpler way to ship.
3:22 am
[ ding ] [ in korean ] how may i help you? do you have something for pain? oh, bayer aspirin? oh, no, no, no... i'm not having a heart attack. it's my back. trust me. it works great for pain. [ male announcer ] nothing's proven to relieve pain better than extra strength bayer aspirin. it rushes relief to the site of pain. no matter where you're hurting. thanks for the tip. [ male announcer ] for powerful pain relief, use bayer aspirin. and to fight pain and fatigue in the morning, try bayer a.m., the morning pain reliever. gaue grmatains heyesy.rc g
3:23 am
3:24 am
>> everything oprah touches turns to gold. a top talk show for years, everyone reading her magazine and now she has her own network. i know you hate this phrase but what is your brand do you think? >> i'm the love brand. >> aren't we all, darling? >> i'm of love brand. >> you like to shower love around? >> that's really what it is. i'm the love and connection brand. that's what i am. >> barry white was the love god. you are the love brand. >> i'm of love brand. everything i'm saying whether it's in my magazine, whether it's gayle on the radio, whether it's the "oprah winfrey show" and everything now about the
3:25 am
channel own is about opening your space, your heart space, so that you can love more. that's really all money is for. money is worth nothing if it can't buy you the opportunity to love more. >> how many times have you been properly in love? >> boy, you're good. you are good. >> thank you. >> i'm not just trying to flatter you. that's good. that's good. that's good. >> you have raised -- >> that's a good question. you know what's good about it? properly. >> yes. properly in love. >> by properly do you mean was it really love? >> where it hurts your heart. >> okay. three. >> who were they? stedman is one. >> stedman didn't hurt my heart. so this is what i learned that love doesn't hurt. >> you had your heart broken three times? >> only two. >> who are they? >> i'm not naming them so they
3:26 am
can call me up tomorrow say i broke oprah's heart. did you hear oprah say that? no thank you for that. and for week of tabloids. >> as you say your brand is love, when it doesn't work and you love somebody passionately and it just doesn't happen for whatever reason, how did you feel about that? >> when i look back to the relationship that i thought that really broke my heart, i was keeping a journal then. keeping a journal is -- you get to see yourself and how you are evolving as a human being. i remember having a ceremony in my head for that woman. i look back at that time and i hold no remorse or bitterness toward that person even though i was, like, you didn't call and you didn't and you don't love me and i can't believe and i have those crazy letters. i should burn them.
3:27 am
>> why have you kept them? >> i don't know. i just kept them. >> do you still read them? >> i haven't read them in years. they're in a safety deposit box somewhere. i should burn them now. gayle knows if anything happens to me get the letters. >> i have a message for gayle, give me the letters. >> get the letters and journals. >> what else have you got in there? >> that's about it. >> tell me about stedman. >> what about him? >> i tell you who he reminds me of. prince phillip. you never really hear from stedman. he's always there in the background. he never lets you down. he's able to deal with your kind of huge fame and success and seems to take it all in stride. he has to deal with endless sniping from the media. when did you know you were in love with him? >> when did i know i was in love with him?
3:28 am
i wasn't in love with him for a long time. it was a good relationship and the relationship worked and the relationship because, you know, i often say that had we actually gotten married, it wouldn't have lasted. i was saying that, you know, it wouldn't have lasted. i was saying it one day. he said, no, it wouldn't have. it wouldn't have lasted because of the -- he's a traditional guy. for a traditional guy to put himself in a position where he's -- he's tall too. 6'6" and standing in the shadows of someone always getting the attention took a real adjustment. >> when was that moment that you knew it was more than just a good relationship. it was special. >> i think actually i had been betrayed by somebody in my family who had gone to the
3:29 am
tabloids for, you know, $20,000 had sold me out and it made me so sick. this was back in the '80s. it made me so sick i was literally in bed because i was saying betrayal that is the worst thing. and stedman came into the room with tears in his eyes. we knew it was coming out. stedman came into the room with tears in his eyes. he said the story is out. i have a copy of it if you want to see it. i'm really sorry. you don't deserve this. it was that moment. >> you looked at him and thought i love this man? >> i looked at him and thought here's something who is willing to stand in and stand up for you. and that's what love is. >> do you ever argue? >> no. it's a waste of time.
3:30 am
i will tell you this. there's a guest on my show. i never had a day's therapy, you know? >> really? >> no. have you? >> no. >> okay. you can tell me if you have. >> no, i haven't. >> you never had therapy? >> no. >> lots of people have. >> i will need it after this. what's wrong with me? >> i never had a day's therapy. god knows i could have used some. >> i'm amazed you say that. i just assumed you would have at some stage had therapy. >> my therapy has come from paying attention to my life and look at all of the guests i've had. if i was going to have a therapist, do you know who i would have? dr. phil would be my therapist. he's damn good. he just cuts through it. >> you know who i would have? >> who? >> you. >> i'm good too.
3:31 am
ask gayle. i'm good. >> your america's therapist. >> thank you for that. >> you are. that's what your brand is i would say. >> my brand is love. >> it's love and it's -- okay. it's love. >> my brand is love. >> i get it. >> come on. >> you're all about the love. >> i'm about evolving people to the point where they can share more love. >> coming up, the darkest moment of a young oprah winfrey's life. >> when i was 14, your life is over. you're having a baby out of wedlock. your life is over. >> more "piers morgan tonight" coming up. >> hi, piers. you got big shoes to fill. break a leg.
3:32 am
3:33 am
>> if you're going to share all this love, you and stedman were engaged.
3:34 am
you never got married. you think it wouldn't have work. >> you're wasting your time on this stedman thing but go ahead. >> i love the stedman thing. he's the most important guy in your life. how is that a waste of time? >> if you're trying to get to why haven't you gotten married and how important is marriage, that is such an old story. i'm not going to get married, piers. that's such an old story. i'm not getting married. i'm just not the marrying kind. >> you never hanker for that moment with a wedding dress and church and bells and a big cake? >> that's why everyone is getting married. you know what? when you get the hankering for the cake and the wedding dress and that, throw yourself a party and get yourself a really nice gown. that's what i say. and that way you don't have to put up with all of the rest of it. >> don't you miss the wedding list and presents you could have? >> have a really nice party with
3:35 am
guest lists and seating on the table and all that. i am a different kind of woman in that i am pretty assured that had i married i wouldn't have remained married because it takes a very different kind of person to put up with all of this and the reason why this relationship has worked as well as it has is because we define ourselves in it and not in a traditional form. nothing about it is traditional. there's nothing about it that's traditional although you would be surprised. i know you are looking for something -- you would be surprised that the past few days i've been meeting at my house. i would stop in the middle of the meeting. make stedman dinner. take it to him in his office and then go back to the meeting. everybody is like, look at the little lady in the house. >> you really want to be a nice home bird wife, don't you? >> no.
3:36 am
that's not what i want to do. i want people who want that for themselves, that's what they should have. but i want to make you a meal when i wanted to make you a meal. i don't want it to be my responsibility to make you a meal. >> do you ever wish you had been a mother? >> no. no, not in that i wish i had been a mother. i am a really good auntie o. i'm godmother to gayle's children. it's been wonderful. i think of all of the things that i would say about my friend, gayle, the thing that she has done the absolute best better than anybody i have ever seen, heard or read about is raise her children. >> you see i would say i'm sure gayle would agree with me that you would make a fantastic mother. >> i don't know if she would agree with you now. she would have said that because she was into the whole picture. we can have kids and grow up
3:37 am
together and maybe they would grow up and they would like each other. gayle was one of those people writing the names of her children on her seventh grade notebook, you know? she was one of those people that wanted that. i wasn't thinking about that in the seventh grade. i was really thinking about how i could follow in the footsteps of martin luther king. >> when you were 14, you lost a baby. you talked about that openly before. does any part of you ever wonder what would have happened if you had that child? >> no. i knew that me getting pregnant was a result of bad choices and not having boundaries and the abuse, sexual abuse from the time i was 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and running the streets and going to be put in detention home and all of that.
3:38 am
i knew that when i lost that baby that for whom i had no connection to whatsoever i would have to say. i was 14 years old and felt nothing but just, okay, relief because i thought before the baby was born i'm going to have to kill myself. i'm going to have to -- >> did you really? >> for sure. for sure. my mother said you can't stay here. i had to move to live with my father in nashville. >> did you ever tell your father that you had been pregnant or any conversation with your father? >> no. i hid the whole thing the whole time. i was able to do it because i was coming from a different state. i hadn't been there since i was 9 years old. and my father as part of his decree about what's going to go on in this house and won't go on in this house said to me as i'm standing in the kitchen listening to him tell me these are the rules of the house. you're going to obey the rules. you have a 10:00 curfew. i would rather see a daughter of mine floating down the cumberland river than to bring shame on this family and indecency of an illegitimate child.
3:39 am
he's saying that to me. i know that i am pregnant. so i'm thinking i'm just going to have to kill myself. so when -- >> did you come close to doing that? >> no. you know, i did stupid things like drinking detergent and that crazy stuff that you do when you are trying to get attention when you are really just trying to cry for help. this is my 14-year-old self. i don't even know what i thought the plan was going to be. that's why i relate so much to young girls in that situation. there isn't the great stigma that it was when i was in school of course. you know, when i was 14, your life is over. you are having a baby out of wedlock. your life is over. when the baby died. the baby was never brought home from the hospital and the baby died, i knew that it was my second chance. i went back to school and nobody knew because had anybody had
3:40 am
known at that time, i wouldn't have been able to be head of the student council. i wouldn't have been able to be speaking champion in forensics. i wouldn't have been able to be miss fire prevention. i wouldn't have been chosen as one of the two teenagers in the state of tennessee to go to the white house conference on youth. none of those things would have happened. the entire trajectory of my life would have been different. >> next, how rich is oprah? what has been the most painful check you ever had to write to the irs? >> you're good. you're good. you think i'm going to give you the number. >> come on. >> you i think i'm going to give you the number? >> give a new boy a break. >> this is "piers morgan tonight."
3:41 am
3:42 am
3:43 am
>> i do believe he's the one to bring us the audacity of hope. barack obama! >> there is a very good argument that without your endorsement perhaps barack obama wouldn't have become president. it was a hugely significant moment for him and his campaign and it showed you if you are honest the extraordinary power of your brand to better influence people. >> i love that if you are honest part. you just said that. >> forced you into it.
3:44 am
>> i know that little trick. i know that trick. i know what you're up to here. >> i'm trying to impress the master. >> i know what you are up to. i will say this. i don't know what impact or influence i had. i knew that from the time i saw him at the democratic national convention in 2004, i felt something. something inside of me was struck by that moment. i did feel that what i felt was that this man is going to be president of the united states one day. i hope i'm alive to see it. if i am alive to see it, i want to be a part of that. >> as someone who aspires to be a teacher and in many ways you are a teacher, if you were giving an academic report on president obama, what would you say good and bad pluses and minuses. >> i couldn't because i haven't paid enough attention to the
3:45 am
curriculum. >> well put. >> to give a fair assessment. >> if you were being honest though, where do you think he's been disappointing? >> i don't think he's been disappointing. >> at all? >> i really do not. i really do not because i believe that i understand the heart of him and i understand that when he took this role on, he took it on to really bring a sense of betterment to the united states of america and the people of this country. and so knowing that that is his intention, i think that there's a learning curve for anything. as you sit in this chair having done this many times before but never done it in this format, there's going to be a learning curve for you. should we judge you and say that you're no good and made all these mistakes just because -- >> if you do that to me i'll be
3:46 am
mortified. >> there's a learning curve. >> will you play a hypothetical game with me? >> uh-huh. >> you said you would never run for president yourself although a lot of people would say if you did, you would win. >> that is not true. >> that is true. >> that is not true. you know what? this is interesting. it's one of those things that if you are living in the ego of yourself, it's flattering to hear that. but i could not for one single second -- this is the thing about me that i really admire about myself. i know where my lane is. i know how to stay in my lane. my lane is evolving the consciousness of people everywhere. getting people to see the best of themselves and therefore the best in other people. >> you just said to me that president obama's aim is the betterment of the american people. sounds similar lane to me. >> listen, i am not in the least bit qualified to do that.
3:47 am
>> no? >> not at all. >> who knows the american people than you? >> well, i might be in a position to talk to -- to be an adviser, but i am not in any position or qualified to run a country, a city, a town hall meeting. that is not what i do. >> let me ask you a different way. you are a very successful business women. how many people do you employ? >> right now, 464 at harpo. >> it's a billion dollar plus business. >> all of the businesses, yes. >> as an empire it's impressive and big and successful. how do we get this going again? how did you get america back on its feet? >> i don't know the answer to that. that's out of my lane. you have driven off the road and out of my lane. >> i want you in that lane. >> you can't put me in that lane. that's not my lane.
3:48 am
>> you would be great in that lane. >> no. what i can talk about is my compassion for anybody who is struggling, who has lost their job, who is out of work, doesn't know how they're going to pay this month's bills, living paycheck to paycheck. i have great empathy for that and understand what that means. i understand what it means to -- because i made every single salary. i know what it means to make. >> you write all of the checks. >> i don't write all of them now. >> how many do you sign? >> i sign all of the checks over 100,000 and that's a lot of checks. >> how many? >> probably, you know, several hundred. >> of over $100,000 each? >> yes. it would knock your socks off. millions are going out. >> do you feel pain? >> most pain i feel is -- my accountants will tell you this. every time i write a check to
3:49 am
the irs it's a ceremony. for years they came in with wine. now they come in with tequila. it's a tequila signing ceremony. >> what's been the most painful check you ever had to write to the irs? the one that caused you the most agony. >> you're good. you think i'm going to give you the number. >> give a new boy a break. >> no. no. no. >> according to "forbes" magazine you are worth $2.7 billion. >> i knew you would go there sooner or later. >> are you worth that? >> i'm not sitting around counting it. >> i bet you know exactly how much you're worth. >> yes, i do. >> you see. how do you know without counting it? >> because i already had counted it. >> there's another amazing factor about your money, you've given away over $300 million. i find that an extraordinary sum of money to have given away.
3:50 am
>> i've given away more than that, but -- >> do you know how much? >> no, i don't. but i know it's more than $300 million. >> really? >> yeah. >> and i have the school and it's ongoing, and i'm responsible for all of these girls and them getting an education. and i pay for every single thing. and i think that the charitable work that you do -- and when i'm gone, everything i have is going to go to charity, because i don't have children. and i believe that that's what you should do, that's how you should live your life. to whom much is given, much should be given back. to me, the money is -- it's certainly a wonderful thing. but it is in direct proportion to how you're able to bless yourself and bless others with it. >> what do you think of the old thing, money can't buy you happiness. >> it can certainly pave the way for it. >> coming up, what's at the heart of oprah winfrey?
3:51 am
>> now you're going to try to make me weep. now i could weep over that. i could weep over that. [ advisor 1 ] what do you see yourself doing one week, one month, five years after you do retire? ♪ client comes in and they have a box. and inside that box is their financial life. people wake up and realize i better start doing something. we open up that box. we organize it. and we make decisions.
3:52 am
we really are here to help you. they look back and think, "wow. i never thought i could do this." but we've actually done it. [ male announcer ] visit ameriprise.com and put a confident retirement more within reach. thing under the gas cap, thing... do you even have a name? well, it doesn't matter. because it's about to change. there's a cheaper, cleaner way to fuel up now. the volt plugs into any socket, and fuels up at home. sure it could use gas, but for most commutes you won't need much, if any. so from now on, fuel tube... we'll just call you...plan b. the 2011 chevrolet volt. it's more car than electric.
3:53 am
3:54 am
the thing that i do best, piers?
3:55 am
you didn't ask me that question. oprah, what is it you do best? >> oprah, what is it you do best? >> the thing that i strive to do best is be here right now. the reason we've had such a good time is because i'm not thinking about how much time we have left, how many questions are you going to ask me. just be here now so i can enjoy this experience. i don't live in the past. i don't carry the past into this moment, because i did the oprah show, i learned how not to do that. that's what all of those years of nontherapy, but paying attention to the guests on the show, the way they live their lives, what the experts had to say, what i've learned from paying attention, so i don't -- i can't say that i have a moment that i feel -- >> are you as happy now as you think you've ever been? >> i'm happier than i've ever been.
3:56 am
>> you seem remarkably content. >> and there's a difference between happiness and just contentment and happy about -- i am profoundly rewarded by this blessing of an experience that i get to have a platform. whether it's the television show, the oprah winfrey show or the network that we've now created. that i think anybody who gets to live their life on purpose and in alignment with why they really came to the planet, to fulfill the greater mission for themselves, you just can't ask for better than that, and so i have always believed that the oprah winfrey show was really the foundation for the beginning of what was to come for my supreme moment of destiny. i am very clear that my life and my purpose is bigger than myself. this isn't all about me having
3:57 am
houses and shoes. it's about how can i be used for something greater than myself, and that is why i'm here. that is why negro me, former colored girl in mississippi has a network. because i know what to do with it. i know how to use it, for something that's greater than my own self whatever. >> today, this interview is aired on martin luther king day. >> is it? >> january 17th. >> lining up there. now you're going to try to make me weep. now, i could weep over that. i could weep over that. >> why? >> but i'm not going to. >> why would you? >> i would, because i hold him in reverence.
3:58 am
i hold him in reverence. and i know that i would not be here, this life that i live, the dream that i live in, that he predicted for our people, would not be possible had he not been who he was. >> if he was looking down now -- >> and this is what i said to stedman as we were watching -- the night before i was launching the network, and we were watching the documentary of dr. king, and i turned to stedman and said, he would have been so proud. he would have been very proud. >> he would see an america where the most powerful man and the most powerful woman. >> one of -- >> it's an arguable point but the most powerful man and woman in america are both black. and for martin luther king, i
3:59 am
think that would be pretty well a culmination of that journey he talked of, that dream. >> i would say so too. i stand in the shoes and on the shoulders of those who have come before me. i'm very much aware of that, and i'm very connected to it. >> oprah, it's been a fascinating encounter in many ways, but this one question i want to end with, and it's the only question i could really ask you on my first day doing interviews for cnn replacing the great larry king. when i'm interviewing the world's most famous interviewer. >> one of. >> and the question is straightforward, really, how have i done? >> you have been surprising. >> surprisingly bad? >> no, just surprising. and that's a good thing. because who doesn't want to be surprised. you've been surprising. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> it's been a real pleasure. >> thank you.

61 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on